Friday, June 5, 2009

The Perks of Working in Restaurants

Free delicious food, free end of shift drinks, fast easy mad money, exercise built into your job, invitations to other restaurant openings, and contests with wonderful prizes. Why did I quit again? Case in point - the obscenely large bottle of wine on the right was my prize for selling the most Sebastiani Chardonnay over the course of a three month contest. I was presented with this bottle on December 31, 2007. I was so impressed with the size of the bottle and myself for winning it that I haven't had the heart to drink it yet, waiting for the perfect occasion (and enough people gathered together). It's a bad and absurd habit, I do it with new clothing, my favorite vinegar, and certainly with wine. That one on the left is another candidate for Open That Bottle Night this year.
But recently, in a life cleansing type mood, I decided to put an end to that bottle of chardonnay this weekend. At my birthday party. Which is an all out Maryland style crab feed. And there will be plenty of drinkers to help me out.
The wine's probably a year past its peak anyway, and it will go out in style, and I'll try to stop saving my prized possessions.

4 comments:

Billi London-Gray said...

I can't even say how sad I am to miss that!

Miss your bday, that is, not the obscenely large bottle of prize wine.

Happy Bday!

Melanie said...

Hear, hear! I'll toast to that!

Axon L. Parker said...

We'll drink it gently and reverently....

meg said...

happy birthday and cheers from the west coast